Emmy Nominee Thoughts


The Emmy Nominations were announced on Tuesday and the ceremony will be held in September. The plan is for it to be virtual. There will be plenty of time to make predictions, but for now I wanted to highlight a few of the shows in the categories that I was glad to see make the list.

Comedies:
There were eight shows nominated for best comedy series, among them the final season of "The Good Place," which I enjoyed quite a bit and the third season of "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel." It's been a while since either was on, but both were shows I enjoyed when they were on. I think either would be a worthy winner here, though I'd wager both a long shots.

Among performers, I was excited to see Ted Danson among best Comedy Actor nominees and Rachel Brosnahan among the best Comedy Actress nominees. In the supporting categories, Andre Braugher is great as Capt. Raymond Holt, and it was great to see him nominated. I also really enjoyed William Jackson Harper on "The Good Place" and Sterling K. Brown in this season of "Marvelous Mrs. Maisel," and I was excited to see both get nominations. Finally, D'Arcy Carden has been my favorite character on "The Good Place" for years and I hope she gets the win with this nomination.

Drama:
There were eight series nominated as best drama series, and among them a number of shows I like that didn't have great seasons. "The Crown," "Killing Eve" and "Stranger Things" are good series, but the most recent seasons didn't feel like ones that would garner best drama series nominations. Yet they did. I was excited to see "The Mandalorian" on the list and I wish we'd seen "Bosch" make the final cut.

Among performers, I enjoyed the love shown to "The Morning Show." Jennifer Aniston was quite good in a different kind of role and I thought Jodie Comer was solid despite an uneven season of "Killing Eve." Bradley Whitford was one of the best parts of the most recent season of "The Handmaid's Tale," and I was glad to see him nominated as Best Supporting Actor.

Limited Series:
Limited Series is a powerful category, with "Watchmen," "Mrs. America" and "Unbelieveable" among the five nominees. From those series come some good acting nominees, too, including Regina King and Jovan Adepo from "Watchmen," and Toni Collette from "Unbelievable."

I was also excited that Paul Mescal from "Normal People" got a nomination, though disappointed his counter-part was left off the list. 

There are a lot of great nominees this year, and it will be interesting to see how the Awards play out on Sunday, September 20.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43