Favorite Broncos, No. 2

 


I miss football, and sports in general. I'm guessing you do, too. And in the place of actual games, we've been seeing a lot of countdowns of classic games, players, etc. And that got me thinking about my own favorite team, the Denver Broncos. I have loved the Denver Broncos since I was a little kid, more than 30 years of fandom. I started watching them in the late 1980s, and have been faithful ever since. So I thought it might be fun to take a little walk down memory lane and consider my favorite players from those teams. So this is just a personal list, that will be presented in reverse order starting at number 30. Agree, disagree, have your own stories? Share them in the comments.

No. 2 Shannon Sharpe (1990-1999, 2002-2003)
About:
We reach the second overall pick on this list, tight end Shannon Sharpe. Sharpe was one of the greatest Broncos, and one of the greatest tight ends in football. He's in the Hall of Fame, and should be, a three time Super Bowl champion, including two with the Broncos. He began and ended his career in Denver, while spending two seasons with the Ravens. I remember when he went to the Ravens, a team that I intensely dislike, and it was heart-breaking. But it was so great to have him return and end his career in Denver. Beyond that, he and John Elway were an incredible pairing. Sharpe was a powerful weapon at tight end, one of the first of his kind. While there are some incredible and potent receivers at that position now, Sharpe felt different when he first emerged in the 1990s. He played 12 years with the Broncos, catching 675 passes for 8,439 yards and 55 touchdowns. But more than that, he was a gregarious leader on the field. Every team needs that brash and outspoken guy that gets fans and teammates fired up, and Sharpe was always that with his larger-than-life personality. He will always be one of my favorite Broncos and one of my favorite players of all time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43