Revisiting the Academy Awards, 1984

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

1984:
Best Picture
* The Killing Fields
* Amadeus
* Places in the Heart
* A Soldier's Story
* A Passage to India

About: This was a big year of some famous commercial hits. "Ghostbusters," "Beverly Hills Cop," "Gremlins," "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," and "Romancing the Stone" are some of the films that were released in 1984. And yet the awards narrowed in on some smaller, more independent films. "Amadeus," the film about Mozart, was the winner of Best Picture here. I'm going with "The Killing Fields," a powerful film I liked a little better.

Best Director:
* Milos Forman
* Woody Allen
* Roland Joffe
* David Lean
* Robert Benton

About: This one went to Forman for his work on "Amadeus." That's a decent choice. I'm tempted here to go with Joffe for his work on "The Killing Fields," but I'll probably stick with the original winner here.

Best Actor:
* F. Murray Abraham
* Jeff Bridges
* Albert Finney
* Tom Hulce
* Sam Waterston

About: This was the year for Abraham, the lead in "Amadeus." He was quite good, and it's hard to move off him even in a good field.

Best Actress:
* Sally Field
* Judy Davis
* Jessica Lange
* Vanessa Redgrave
* Sissy Spacek

About: Field won here, and this is where we got her famous speech about how much her colleagues really liked her. There are some other worthy nominees here, but I'd stick with Field.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Haing S. Ngor
* Adolph Cesar
* John Malkovich
* Pat Morita
* Ralph Richardson

About: Ngor won here, the big win of the night for "The Killing Fields," a movie I thought was powerful. I am tempted by Morita here, who is great in "The Karate Kid," a part that's proved fairly enduring. However, I'm sticking with Ngor here.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Peggy Ashcroft
* Glenn Close
* Lindsay Crouse
* Christine Lahti
* Geraldine Page

About: This one went to Ashcroft, the big nod to Best Picture nominee "A Passage to India." I'll be honest in that I'm not as familiar with that film. However, I would lean Close here for her work in "The Natural."

That's it for 1984, check back next week for 1985.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43