Revisiting the Academy Awards, 1985

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

1985

Best Picture:
* Out of Africa
* Prizzi's Honor
* The Color Purple
* Kiss of the Spider Woman
* Witness

About: This is an interesting group of films, where "Out of Africa" came out on top. I like several of these films, and it's tempting to go a number of ways. But I'm going to say "The Color Purple" is Steven Spielberg's most under-rated film, and an under-rated film in general. I think it should have won.

Best Director:
* Sydney Pollack
* John Huston
* Peter Weir
* Akira Kurosawa
* Hector Babenco

About: I talked about above my appreciation for Spielberg and his work on "The Color Purple." He wasn't even nominated in this category.... Pollack was the winner for "Out of Africa," and I'd stick with that here.

Best Actor:
* Harrison Ford
* William Hurt
* Jack Nicholson
* James Garner
* Jon Voight

About: Take a look at this field for a moment. It's pretty impressive. You can make a case for several here. I liked Ford in "Witness" and Nicholson in "Prizzi's Honor." However, Hurt was the winner here, and it's a good performance in an interesting film. I'd stick with him here.

Best Actress:
* Geraldine Page
* Anne Bancroft
* Meryl Streep
* Whoopi Goldberg
* Jessica Lange

About: Another pretty loaded group. Page was the winner here, for "A Trip to the Bountiful." I'll be honest in that I'm not familiar with that one. There are a number of other good performances here, but I'm going with Goldberg.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Eric Roberts
* Don Ameche
* Robert Loggia
* William Hickey
* Klaus Maria Brandauer

About: Ameche got the win here for "Cocoon," an interesting film that's still a part of the cultural landscape 35 years later. I'm sticking with the Academy here.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Angelica Huston
* Oprah Winfrey
* Amy Madigan
* Meg Tilly
* Margaret Avery

About: Huston won here, in a film with Nicholson and directed by her father, famous director John Huston. There are a few other interesting ones here, including Winfrey in "The Color Purple." I'd stick with Huston here, but this was a tough choice.

That's it for 1985, check back next week for 1986!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43