Revisiting the Academy Awards, 1987

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

1987:

Best Picture:
* The Last Emperor
* Broadcast News
* Fatal Attraction
* Moonstruck
* Hope and Glory

About: This was the year "The Last Emperor" took the top prize. It's a fine film. "Fatal Attraction" and "Moonstruck" are more remembered years later, and I think "Broadcast News" is the best of the group, so that's what I'm going with.

Best Director:
* Bernardo Bertolucci
* Adrian Lyne
* John Boorman
* Norman Jewison
* Lasse Hallstrom

About: Bertolucci won for "The Last Emperor" here, and the film is visually striking. I would likely stick wiht him here.

Best Actor:
* Michael Douglas
* Robin Williams
* William Hurt
* Jack Nicholson
* Marcello Mastroianni

About: Douglas won here for "Wall Street," and honestly he had a great year between this and "Fatal Attraction." He was a deserving winner. But my heart also wants to honor Williams for "Good Morning Vietnam." But I'll stick with Douglas here.

Best Actress:
* Cher
* Glenn Close
* Holly Hunter
* Meryl Streep
* Sally Kirkland

About: Cher won for "Moonstruck," and it's not a bad choice. But Hunter is great in "Broadcast News," and Close was great in "Fatal Attraction." I'm gonna say this should have been Close.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Sean Connery
* Albert Brooks
* Morgan Freeman
* Denzel Washington
* Vincent Gardenia

About: This was the year Connery won for "The Untouchables." I loved Brooks in "Broadcast News," but I'd stick with Connery here.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Olympia Dukakis
* Anne Archer
* Anne Ramsey
* Ann Southern
* Norma Aleandro

About: It was a good year if you were named Anne or Ann! Dukakis won for "Moonstruck," and does a nice job. But I'm gonna say I'd go with Anne Ramsey here from "Throw Mamma From the Train."

That's it for 1987, come back next week for 1988!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43