Revisiting the Academy Awards, 1989

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

1989:

Best Picture:
* Driving Miss Daisy
* Dead Poets Society
* Born on the Fourth of July
* Field of Dreams
* My Left Foot

About: This was a great field. "Driving Miss Daisy" was the winner, but this is a solid set of nominees you could make a case for. Two of them catch my eye, the first is "Field of Dreams," which is an incredible and heart-warming story. But the one that I'm going with as who I'd give Best Picture to is "Dead Poets Society." Peter Weir's direction is solid, but Robin Williams is what makes it hum. It's the one that has the most profound legacy all these years later.

Best Director:
* Peter Weir
* Oliver Stone
* Woody Allen
* Kenneth Branagh
* Jim Sheridan

About: Another loaded field, where Stone was the winner for "Born on the Fourth of July." That's a worthy choice. I like Weir here, too, but I'd probably stick with Stone for one of his best films.

Best Actor:
* Daniel Day-Lewis
* Kenneth Branagh
* Tom Cruise
* Robin Williams
* Morgan Freeman

About: Day-Lewis won here for "My Left Foot." It's a good performance and a compelling film. I also love Day-Lewis as an actor. Williams is also incredible here in "Dead Poets Society," one of my favorites of his film. But here I'm going with Cruise for a tough and incredible performance in "Born on the Fourth of July." Cruise doesn't get enough credit as an actor, and this is one that I would honor.

Best Actress: 
* Jessica Tandy
* Isabelle Adjani
* Pauline Collins
* Jessica Lange
* Michelle Pfeiffer

About: Jessica Tandy won here, and while "Driving Miss Daisy" wasn't my favorite of the films, I'm sticking with her as the winner here.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Martin Landau
* Denzel Washington
* Dan Aykroyd
* Danny Aiello
* Marlon Brando

About: A strong group here. Washington won for "Glory," and I'm easily sticking with that choice. He was great in an under-rated film.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Brenda Fricker
* Anjelica Houston
* Julia Roberts
* Lena Olin
* Dianne Weist

About: Fricker won here for "My Left Foot," and it's a solid win. However, I'm going with Roberts here for "Steel Magnolias." She, like Cruise, doesn't always get enough credit for her acting.

That's a wrap on 1989. Check back next week for 1990!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43