Revisiting the Academy Awards, 1990


 

As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

1990:

Best Picture:
* Dances With Wolves
* Goodfellas
* The Godfather, Part III
* Ghost
* Awakenings

About: This was the year "Dances With Wolves" won the big prize. Before I get to that, let's talk about "The Godfather, Part III." I love "The Godfather" franchise, but Part III is not good. It's hard to think of it as a Best Picture nominee. "Dances With Wolves" is a fine film, but I'm going "Goodfellas."

Best Director:
* Martin Scorsese
* Kevin Costner
* Francis Ford Coppola
* Stephen Frears
* Barbet Schroeder

About: Costner won here, but I'm going with Scorsese for "Goodfellas."

Best Actor:
* Jeremy Irons
* Kevin Costner
* Robert de Niro
* Gérard Depardieu 
* Richard Harris

About: Irons won here, but I think part of that is because Costner won in a couple other categories. In my revision, that doesn't happen, so I'm going with Costner here.

Best Actress:
* Kathy Bates
* Julia Roberts
* Meryl Streep
* Joanne Woodward
* Anjelica Huston

About: Bates won here for "Misery," and it's an iconic role. I'm sticking with the original winner here.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Joe Pesci
* Bruce Davidson
* Al Pacino
* Andy Garcia
* Graham Greene

About: Pesci won for "Goodfellas," and I'm sticking with the original winner in this category.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Whoopi Goldberg
* Annette Benning
* Mary McDonnell
* Lorraine Bracco
* Diane Ladd

About: This is an interesting category. Goldberg won for "Ghost." It's not my favorite film, but I'm going to stick with the winner here.

That does it for 1990, tune in next week for 1991!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43