Revisiting the Academy Award, 1993

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

1993:

Best Picture:
* Schindler's List
* The Fugitive
* In the Name of the Father
* The Piano
* Remains of the Day

About: This was the year where "Schindler's List" won, and I'm sticking with that one!

Best Director:
* Steven Spielberg
* Jim Sheridan
* Jane Campion
* James Ivory
* Robert Altman

About: Spielberg got the win here, and I'm sticking with that.

Best Actor:
* Tom Hanks
* Daniel Day Lewis
* Laurence Fishburne
* Anthony Hopkins
* Liam Neeson

About: This was the year Hanks won for "Philadelphia," a pretty incredible performance. This is also an incredibly loaded field. I am tempted by a few, especially Neeson, but I would probably stick with Hanks here.

Best Actress:
* Holly Hunter
* Angela Bassett
* Stockard Channing
* Emma Thompson
* Debra Winger

About: Hunter won here for "The Piano." It's a good performance, but I really didn't enjoy the film. I am going with Winger for "Shadowlands."

Best Supporting Actor:
* Tommy Lee Jones
* Leonardo DiCaprio
* Ralph Fiennes
* John Malkovich
* Pete Postlethwaite

About: Jones got the win here for "The Fugitive." It's a solid performance, but so many good performances here. I am going with Fiennes for "Schindler's List."

Best Supporting Actress:
* Anna Paquin
* Holly Hunter
* Rosie Perez
* Winona Ryder
* Emma Thompson

About: Paquin won for "The Piano." This was a year of a few double nominees. I'm going with Hunter here for "The Firm."

That's it for 1993. Check back next week for a look at 1994.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43