Revisiting the Academy Awards, 1992

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

1992:

Best Picture:
* Unforgiven
* A Few Good Men
* The Crying Game
* Howard's End
* Scent of a Woman

About: This was the year "Unforgiven" won the top prize. BUT, I am a big "A Few Good Men" fan. That's what I think should have been Best Picture, so I'm going with that one.

Best Director:
* Clint Eastwood
* Neil Jordan
* James Ivory
* Robert Altman
* Martin Breast

About: Eastwood won for "Unforgiven," and I think given the options that I would stick with that.

Best Actor:
* Al Pacino
* Robert Downey, Jr.
* Clint Eastwood
* Stephen Rea
* Denzel Washington

About: A loaded field, and the winner was Pacino for "Scent of a Woman." I love Pacino, but now. For me, it comes down to Washington and Downey, Jr. I'm going with RDJ for his work on "Chaplin."

Best Actress:
* Emma Thompson
* Mary McDonnell
* Michelle Pfeiffer
* Susan Sarandon
* Catherine Deneuve

About: Thompson won here for "Howard's End," and I'm sticking with that win in a good field.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Gene Hackman
* Jaye Davidson
* Jack Nicholson
* Al Pacino
* David Paymer

About: This one went to Hackman for "Unforgiven." It's not a bad film, but it's not my favorite. There are two here that intrigue me, Nicholson for "A Few Good Men" and Pacino for "Glengarry Glen Ross." I'm ultimately going for Nicholson who delivers some iconic and powerful moments.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Marissa Tomei
* Judy Davis
* Joan Plowright
* Vanessa Redgrave
* Miranda Richardson

About: This one went to Tomei for "My Cousin Vinny," and I'm sticking with that.

That's a wrap for 1992. Check back next week for 1993.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43