Revisiting the Academy Awards, 1999


 

As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

1999:

Best Picture:
* American Beauty
* The Green Mile
* The Cider House Rules
* The Sixth Sense
* The Insider

About: American Beauty won this year, but I don't think it holds up. In fact, it would be my fifth choice from this group. After much thinking and deliberation, I'm going with The Green Mile.

Best Director:
* Sam Mendes
* Spike Jonze
* Lasse Hallstrom
* Michael Mann
* M. Night Shymalan

About: Mendes got the win here for American Beauty. While I don't think it's a film that holds up, it does have some strong visuals. But I'm going with Mann here for The Insider.

Best Actor:
* Kevin Spacey
* Russell Crowe
* Richard Farnsworth
* Sean Penn
* Denzel Washington

About: This went to Spacey. I am going with Crowe, who ironically won the award the following year.

Best Actress:
* Annette Benning
* Hilary Swank
* Janet McTeer
* Julianne Moore
* Meryl Streep

About: This one went to Swank, and I'd stick with that here.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Michael Caine
* Tom Cruise
* Michael Clark Duncan
* Jude Law
* Haley Joel Osment

About: This went to Caine, and I loved his performance. So this is tough for me, but I think Cruise has been chronically snubbed, and I believe he should have won, so I'm going with him.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Angelina Jolie
* Toni Collette
* Catherine Keener
* Samantha Morton
* Chloe Sevigny

About: This was the year it went to Jolie. That's a pretty good selection, and I think I'm sticking with that here.

That's a wrap on 1999. Check back next week for 2000.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43