Exploring the Big Bang Theory

 


"That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad."- Dr. Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory

One of the highlights of this COVID season has been exploring all that streaming sites have to offer. My wife and I went through The West Wing, I revisited The OC, and I've nearly completed a re-watch of Chuck. But I noticed on HBO Max that The Big Bang Theory was available. Neither of us had ever seen it on purpose, so we decided to give it a try.

A month later, we just started season four... We watch an episode or two almost every day, often more. I typically watch all new series at least for a few episodes. But that's a practice I started about a decade ago, after The Big Bang Theory initially premiered. I had never seen the series when it first premiered, and didn't feel like jumping into the middle. Lindsay had just never tried it, but has a fondness for sitcoms.

I wondered what made it one of the most popular shows for more than a decade, so I was excited to try the pilot on streaming. Once I did, I regretted that I had missed the show during its run. I have a good friend who loved the show and always wondered why I never tried it. Needless to say he was pleased that I had jumped in and grown attached, and said he was curious to see my thoughts along the journey.

Naturally I know what some of the big arc of the show is because of its place in popular culture. But I so appreciate all the pop culture references and the characters. My wife has long said I'm a pretty giant nerd, and identifying with some of the characters and situations was a pretty decent confirmation.

So far my favorite characters are Sheldon (Jim Parsons) and Penny (Kaley Cuoco), especially their fun interactions together. I will be curious to see how that evolves as we're into the fourth season out of a 12-season journey. Either way, I'm glad I jumped in and will periodically update this adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43