Revisiting the Academy Awards, 2003

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

2003:

Best Picture:
* Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
* Lost in Translation
* Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
* Mystic River
* Seabiscuit

About: Return of the King won here, and it felt more like a cumulative award. I really like Lost in Translation and Mystic River, but I'm sticking with Return of the King.

Best Director:
* Peter Jackson
* Sofia Coppola
* Clint Eastwood
* Peter Weir
* Fernando Meirelles

About: Jackson won here, again it felt kind of like a cumulative award. But in my revision, he'd have won previously. So I'm going with Coppola here.

Best Actor:
* Sean Penn
* Johnny Depp
* Ben Kingsley
* Jude Law
 * Bill Murray

About: Penn won here for Mystic River, and he does a nice job. HOWEVER, I'm going with Murray here.

Best Actress:
* Charlize Theron
* Keisha Castle-Huges
* Diane Keaton
* Samantha Morton
* Naomi Watts

About: Theron won here and gave quite a performance with quite a transformation, I'm sticking with her.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Tim Robbins
* Alec Baldwin
* Djimon Hounsou
* Benicio Del Toro
* Ken Watanabe

About: Robbins won here and I liked his performance. I'm sticking with him.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Renee Zellweger
* Shoreh Agdashloo
* Patricia Clarkson
* Marcia Gay Harden
* Holly Hunter

About: Zellweger won for Cold Mountain. I didn't love the movie, but more importantly, I think Clarkson was great in Pieces of April, so I would go with her.

That's a wrap on 2003. Check back next week for 2004!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43