40 Years of Movies: 1984

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

1984:

Ghostbusters
Starring:
Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis, Ernie Hudson, Sigourney Weaver, and Rick Moranis
About: We've arrived at 1984, the fourth year on this journey, and this one provides some fun films. Picking my top film was a close call between this and the film that will top the Other Considerations list. In the end I went with Ghostbusters, a film that I come back to time and again. This is a funny and fun film, one that inspired a sequel and a pair of spin-offs, one of which should finally debut in 2021. Murray, Aykroyd, Ramis and Hudson are great as the Ghostbusting team. The comedy and story here works great and there are a number of iconic scenes, including the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man. This one is a lot of fun and if you haven't seen it, what are you waiting for?

Other Considerations:

Beverly Hills Cop
Starring:
Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, and Ronny Cox
About: This was a close call for me because I enjoy this film, and the entire franchise, quite a bit. This was one of the first big solo starring vehicles for Murphy, who shines as Axel Foley. Reinhold is quite good here too, and this is another one where I enjoy the action and the comedy. This spawned two sequels with another rumored to be on the way. When I think of classic 1980s films, it's hard not to think about this one.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Starring:
Harrison Ford, Kate Capshaw, and Ke Huy Quan
About: This sequel to Raiders of the Lost Ark probably doesn't get the love it deserves. It has a somewhat creepy plot at times, but it also has some good humor. I appreciate Capshaw as Willie Scott, who is a different kind of romantic foil for Indiana Jones. Quan, who plays Short Round, is also quite a bit of fun. I enjoy all the Indiana Jones films, and I think Ford is incredible in the role. This isn't as good as the first one, but I still like it quite a bit.

Cloak & Dagger
Starring:
Henry Thomas and Dabney Coleman
About: This is the entry on the list that reveals my childlike wonder. This probably isn't an incredible movie, but it's one that stands out to me because I loved watching it when I was younger. Thomas, the star of E.T., is the lead here, a young kid drawn into a spy mystery. Coleman plays the dual role of his favorite spy hero Jack Flack and the boy's actual father, a pilot. This one has some fun moments and twists and turns. When I actually visited San Antonio, I couldn't help but think of the woman missing her fingers while cruising along the river walk. It's been a few years since I saw this, but I can still picture it. The film made an impression!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43