40 Years of Movies: 1986

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

1986:

Top Gun
Starring:
Tom Cruise, Anthony Edwards, Val Kilmer, and Kelly McGillis
About: For this year I had a few quintessential 1980s movies I like but there wasn't one that was an easy pick for the top choice. I went back and forth between a few of these, and ended up with Top Gun in this spot. I enjoy the movie, I like the action sequences, and I think Cruise is quite good here. I liked his back-and-forth with Anthony Edwards, and I was wrecked when Goose hit the canopy. I'm excited to see the sequel coming out at some point this summer, too. As we go on this journey some years will produce movies I love more than others, and I think that's the case with 1986. Nevertheless, I had fun looking back on this group of films.

Other Considerations:
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Starring:
William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Walter Koenig, Catherine Hicks, and Nichelle Nichols
About: This is one of the better films with the original cast, setting some of the action in a contemporary 1980s setting. There are some laughs, a fun mission about whales, and some good interactions between the cast. This is an easy re-watch, one I've seen a number of times. It was a close consideration for the top of this list.

Manhunter
Starring:
William Petersen, Joan Allen, Brian Cox and Tom Noonan
About: This one from director Michael Mann is a very 1980s crime drama based on the novel Red Dragon from Thomas Harris. This is the first film to dive into the world of Hannibal Lecter, in this case with Cox playing the role and Petersen in the lead as Will Graham, the profiler that caught him and is working on his next case. I like the way this is put together and enjoy Petersen in the lead role. It's a bit different than other Harris adaptations, but I think it's under rated. I enjoy Mann's style as a director and think that works well here, too.

Rad
Starring:
Bill Allen, Lori Loughlin, Ray Walston, Talia Shire, and Jack Weston
About: Here's another quintessential 1980s film on the list, this one a film that focuses on BMX racing. I remember watching this film, from director Hal Needham, quite a bit as a kid. I re-watched it this week and still remembered most of the story and music, so it made an impression. I enjoy the riding scenes and Allen in the lead role. This one has a decent cast and story, maybe it's not incredible but it's certainly a sentimental choice for me and a film I remember watching a lot when I was younger, so it makes the list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43