Academy Award Nomination Predictions

 


The Academy Award Nominations will be announced bright and early on Monday morning. I will be reacting live as part of the Music City Drive In Podcast, which begins at 4:30 a.m. Pacific Time... the Monday after the time change... But as we prepare, here's my predictions for what we might hear on Monday morning.

This is a combination of prediction and hopes, but that's what I'm going with. We'll see if I'm right on Monday!

Best Picture:
* Nomadland
* Trial of the Chicago 7
* Minari
* Mank
* Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
* Promising Young Woman
* The Father
* One Night in Miami
* Judas and the Black Messiah

About: This category could have anywhere from five to up to 10 nominees. I went with nine, and I think if we get this group it will be a good field.

Best Director:
* Chloe Zhao, Nomadland
* Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
* Regina King, One Night in Miami
* David Fincher, Mank
* Isaac Lee Chung, Minari

About: It's quite possible that Aaron Sorkin gets in here and King doesn't. But this is where wish fulfillment comes in a bit, I guess. I think Sorkin gets a writing credit but King makes this field.

Best Actor:
* Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
* Anthony Hopkins, The Father
* Steven Yeun, Minari
* Riz Ahmed, The Sound of Metal
* Delroy Lindo, Da 5 Bloods

About: It's more likely that Gary Oldman gets in than Lindo, but I think Lindo gave a more memorable performance, so I'm going with it here.

Best Actress:
* Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
* Frances McDormand, Nomadland
* Viola Davis, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
* Rosamund Pike, I Care A Lot
* Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman

About: This is an incredibly loaded field, and this prediction leaves out Golden Globe winner Andra Day. But, for me, this is the five who should get in.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
* Leslie Odom, Jr., One Night in Miami
* Bo Burnham, Promising Young Woman
* Sacha Baron Cohen, Trial of the Chicago 7
* Paul Raci, The Sound of Metal

About: I could be way off in this category. Burnham is a long shot, but he was so great. And Raci is far from a lock, too. But this is the five I'd like to see.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Olivia Coleman, The Father
* Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
* Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian
* Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
* Amanda Seyfried, Mank

About: This is the category I have the least feel for on this list, but this is the final five I'm going with.

The Academy Award Nominations will be announced beginning at 5 a.m. PST on Monday, March 15.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43