Revisiting the Academy Awards, 2007

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

2007:

Best Picture:
* No Country For Old Men
* There Will Be Blood
* Juno
* Atonement
* Michael Clayton

About: This was the year that No Country for Old Men won. This is actually an incredible field, with four of the nominees being films I thought were great. That being said, I'm sticking with the original pick.

Best Director:
* Joel and Ethan Coen
* Paul Thomas Anderson
* Jason Reitman
* Tony Gilroy
* Julian Schnabel

About: Joel and Ethan Coen won here. This is another excellent field, but I'm sticking with the Coen Brothers.

Best Actor:
* Daniel Day Lewis
* George Clooney
* Johnny Depp
* Tommy Lee Jones
* Viggo Mortensen

About: Lewis won here and gave an incredible performance. I'd stick with him here.

Best Actress:
* Marion Cotillard
* Cate Blanchett
* Julie Christie
* Laura Linney
* Ellen Page

About: Cotillard won and it was a good performance, but there are a number of good performances here. I think I'd go with Page here.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Javier Bardem
* Casey Affleck
* Philip Seymour Hoffman
* Hal Holbrook
* Tom Wilkinson

About: Bardem was the winner here and he's who I'd stick with.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Tilda Swinton
* Cate Blanchett
* Ruby Dee
* Saoirse Ronan
* Amy Ryan

About: Swinton won for her role in Michael Clayton. It's a good performance. But I'm going with Ryay here for her work in Gone Baby Gone.

That's a wrap for 2007. Check back next week for a look at 2008.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43