40 Years of Movies: 1989

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

1989:

Christmas Vacation
About:
We've reached 1989, and this is a year that had a lot of options. But, for me, it comes down to my favorite Christmas comedy of all time. This is actually the third film in the National Lampoon's Vacation franchise with Chevy Chase and Beverly D'Angelo in the lead, but it's also the best. Clark (Chase) just wants to throw the hap-hap-happiest Christmas, but nothing goes right. I watch this at least once every year, and I think it gets funnier every time I see it. So it was the only logical choice to top the list this year for me.

Other Considerations:
Batman
About:
Michael Keaton takes the lead in this live-action film from Tim Burton, while Jack Nicholson takes the iconic role as The Joker. I like the mood of this film, Nicholson is good and Keaton is my favorite Batman. This one is under rated.

Lethal Weapon 2
About:
I love the Lethal Weapon movies and have watched all four of them several times. But this sequel is my favorite of the series. I like the case here, and the villainous South African criminals are one of the better bad guys. This has some great sequences and a good closing sequence.

Dead Poets Society
About:
Robin Williams was a great talent, and didn't get enough credit for his dramatic roles. This one, which focuses on an inspirational teacher at a private school, is beautiful, powerful and emotional. Williams is great in the role and this is a movie that gets me every time. Oh Captain, my Captain, hat's off to making an iconic classic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43