40 Years of Movies: 1990

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

1990:

Miller's Crossing
About:
For me, the 1990s might be the peak of the prowess of the Coen Brothers. While my favorite Coen Brothers film comes later, the 1990s include many of their films I love. That starts with Miller's Crossing, released in 1990 and the third feature from the brothers. It's an incredible work that features some great performances and dialogue. I like the story and I love the artistry. I've been in love with the film since I first saw it when I was in college. It's probably the most under-rated Coen Brothers film, and it's my favorite film of 1990.

Other Considerations:
Home Alone
About:
Kevin! This Christmas classic has long been in the rotation for me during the holidays, and when I was looking at the list of films for the year, it was easy for this one to make the short list. I like the story and the performances, and it is a great Christmas film.

Tremors
About:
This film starring Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward is a B-Movie horror comedy all the way. It's also incredible. It's about some worm-like terrors that track movement and come up through the ground to attack a small town and the local handy men who play hero. Bacon and Ward are great, and this has plenty of good supporting performances, including from Michael Gross and Reba McIntire. This isn't deep, but it's a lot of fun.

Days of Thunder
About:
Rubbing is racing. This classic from Tony Scott puts Tom Cruise behind the wheel of a NASCAR and Robert Duvall in the pit as his crew chief. I don't actually care that much for NASCAR, but I love the fun of this film and its production. It's a classic that makes the short list here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43