Best Picture Nominees: Promising Young Woman

 


The Academy Awards are coming! Nominees were announced on Monday, March 15 and the awards will be held on Sunday, April 25. From now until then I'll be looking at all eight nominees for Best Picture and handicapping their chances.

Promising Young Woman
Starring:
Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Clancy Brown, Jennifer Coolidge, Alison Brie, Max Greenfield, and Chris Lowell
Director: Emerald Fennell
Total Nominations: 5
Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Actress (Mulligan), Best Original Screenplay (Fennell), Best Director (Fennell), and Best Editing
About: We're into the week of the Academy Awards, which take place on Sunday. I'm down to my last couple Best Picture nominees to preview. Today I look at my favorite film of the group, and Friday I'll look at the front-runner ahead of making my picks for the awards on Sunday. Today's film, Promising Young Woman, was my favorite of 2020. It's nominated for five Academy Awards and I think it is a great film. Some have struggled with the ending. I get that it's unconventional, but I thought it worked for this story. That being said, it would be a mild surprise and upset if the film won Best Picture. Same with Fennell for Best Director. I think another woman, Chloe Zhao is going to claim that prize. Editing is a toss up to me, but if it does win editing, its Best Picture chances take a jump up, to me. That brings me to two categories where I think this film is the front-runner. The first is in the Original Screenplay competition. While I think Fennell will miss out as a director, I think she will and should get the win for her excellent script. Second is the Best Actress race. Mulligan gave a GREAT performance. This field is somewhat wide open with no one having a lock, but Mulligan was the best in the field and should win, if there's any justice. She's my pick to win and I hope to hear her name called Sunday. I loved this film and I think it will come away with at least one if not two wins.
Rating: R for strong violence including sexual assault, language throughout, some sexual material and drug use.
Where to Find It: Promising Young Woman is playing in limited release and available to rent or own on VOD.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43