Revisiting the Academy Awards, 2010

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

2010:

Best Picture:
* The King's Speech
* The Social Network
* Inception
* The Fighter
* True Grit
* Black Swan
* 127 Hours
* Toy Story 3
* Winter's Bone
* The Kids Are All Right

About: This was the year The King's Speech won. It's a fine film. The Social Network should have won, and is my pick.

Best Director:
* Tom Hooper
* David Fincher
* Joel and Ethan Coen
* Darren Aronofsky
* David O. Russell

About: Hooper won here, but I'm going with David Fincher.

Best Actor:
* Colin Firth
* Jeff Bridges
* Javier Bardem
* Jesse Eisenberg
* James Franco

About: Firth won the award here. There are some worthy options, but I'm sticking with him.

Best Actress:
* Natalie Portman
* Jennifer Lawrence
* Nicole Kidman
* Annette Benning
* Michelle Williams

About: Portman was the winner here, but I'm going with Williams, who gave a powerful, emotional performance that shouldn't be overlooked.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Christian Bale
* John Hawkes
* Jeremy Renner
* Mark Ruffalo
* Geoffrey Rush

About: Bale got the win here. He gives a good performance. I am tempted by Renner, but I'll stick with Bale.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Melissa Leo
* Amy Adams
* Helena Bonham-Carter
* Hailee Steinfeld
* Jacki Weaver

About: This one went to Leo, and she gives a good performance. But I'm going with Steinfeld here.

That's a wrap on 2010. Check back in two weeks for a look at 2011.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43