40 Years of Movies: 1995

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

1995:

Heat
About:
This crime thriller from Michael Mann is about a crew pulling off bank robberies and the cops set to catch them. It is also famous for being the first time iconic performers Al Pacino and Robert De Niro shared the screen together. I love the pacing and the story here. It has an incredible cast, from a teen Natalie Portman to these two iconic stars. Mann does a great job crafting the story and leads into an epic shootout in downtown Los Angeles that remains one of the most memorable parts of the film. When it came to 1995, there are a number of films I liked, but this is the standout for me.

Other Considerations:
Bad Boys
About:
This was the first feature from Michael Bay. It features Martin Lawrence and Will Smith as Miami narcotics detectives. The action and humor here is great, and I like the supporting performance from Tea Leoni. Bay is known for his action sequences, especially slow motion, and that really comes through in this feature. It's long been one of my favorites.

Die Hard: With a Vengeance
About:
This third film in the Die Hard franchise changes up the formula a little. This one is in New York, during the summer and sees Bruce Willis paired up with Samuel L. Jackson to battle Jeremy Irons. It's a great mix of humor and action. It's not quite as good as the original, but it's a close second for me when it comes to Die Hard films, and it's an action film I can watch time and again.

The Usual Suspects
About:
This one sits a little differently today because of what we know about director Bryan Singer as a person and what we know about actor Kevin Spacey as a person. So I debated some about whether to put it one the list. The thing is, as a film, this one is really good. The story here is engaging and the direction is solid. There's a reason Spacey won an Academy Award for the role. That doesn't make me forget that they're not great people, but I still appreciate the film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43