As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

2012:

Best Picture:
* Argo
* Silver Linings Playbook
* Django Unchained
* Life of Pi
* Amour
* Lincoln
* Beasts of the Southern Wild
* Zero Dark Thirty
* Les Miserables

About: Argo was the winner, and it's a decent film. There are some good nominees in this year, but I'm going with Silver Linings Playbook.

Best Director:
* Ang Lee
* David O. Russell
* Steven Spielberg
* Behn Zeitling
* Michael Haneke

About: Lee won for Life of Pi, a visually stunning film. I'm sticking with him.

Best Actor:
* Daniel Day Lewis
* Bradley Cooper
* Hugh Jackman
* Joaquin Phoenix
* Denzel Washington

About: Day Lewis won for Lincoln. I loved Cooper, but I'm sticking with the winner here.

Best Actress:
* Jennifer Lawrence
* Jessica Chastain
* Naomi Watts
* Emmanuelle Riva
* Quvenzhané Wallis 

About: This one went to Lawrence, and I'm sticking with her.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Christoph Waltz
* Alan Arkin
* Robert De Niro
* Phillip Seymour Hoffman
* Tommy Lee Jones

About: Waltz won here and he's quite good. I liked all the performances, but I'm sticking with him here.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Anne Hathaway
* Amy Adams
* Sally Field
* Helen Hunt
* Jacki Weaver

About: Another good field. Hathaway won here for Les Miserables and I'm sticking with her.

That's a wrap on 2012. Check back next week for a look at 2013.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43