40 Years of Movies: 1999


 

2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

1999:

The Mummy
About:
The summer of 1999 is when I graduated from high school. It was a time before I went to theaters as much as I do now, something that started in college. That summer I saw two movies in theaters, Star Wars, Episode I: The Phantom Menace and Deep Blue Sea. Both are interesting, but neither is on this list. The Mummy is one I saw in my dorm room during the first Fall of college, and it's stuck with me. Brendan Fraser is great in the lead role, while the story, direction, and setting are a lot of fun. It's one I've watched time and again, and remains a movie I treasure.

Other Considerations:
The Matrix
About:
This was another big summer film from 1999 that I saw as part of a midnight screening when I was in college. I remember watching it on a huge IMAX screen and being blown away. The acting is solid, but the visual story-telling style here is what makes it stand out. It was ground-breaking at the time and still stands up. The sequels didn't match the original, but this first film remains a classic that I continue to enjoy.

Office Space
About:
This is a movie I enjoyed when I saw it in college, but it's one that I appreciate more now as an adult who is part of the workforce. This one from Mike Judge is a send up of the corporate world. Ron Livingston is great in the lead role, while Gary Cole does a nice job in the supporting role. There are so many classic scenes here, it's one that makes me laugh every time.

10 Things I Hate About You
About:
This teenage comedy is an adaptation of Shakespeare's Taming of the Shrew. Heath Ledger, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and David Krumholtz are great together, while Julia Stiles is a lot of fun too. The adults who make cameos, Allison Janney and Larry Miller, are also a lot of fun. This one had a great soundtrack, which I have and still enjoy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43