Revisiting the Academy Awards, 2017

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

2017:

Best Picture:
* The Shape of Water
* Dunkirk
* Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
* The Phantom Thread
* Get Out
* Lady Bird
* The Post
* The Darkest Hour
* Call Me By Your Name

About: This was a tough year. There are a number of good and interesting movies, but I wasn't passionate about one being much better than the others. The Shape of Water won, and I think I'm going to stick with that.

Best Director:
* Guillermo del Toro
* Christopher Nolan
* Jordan Peele
* Gretta Gerwig
* Paul Thomas Anderson

About: Del Toro was the winner here, but I'm going with Nolan for Dunkirk.

Best Actor:
* Gary Oldman
* Timothy Chalamet
* Daniel Day Lewis
* Daniel Kaluuya
* Denzel Washington

About: Oldman was the winner here, but I'm torn between two, Day Lewis and Kaluuya. Both are great. I will go with Kaluuya, who really broke out with Get Out.

Best Actress:
* Frances McDormand
* Sally Hawkins
* Saoirse Ronan
* Meryl Streep
* Margot Robbie

About: McDormand won, and she was great. HOWEVER, I'm going with Hawkins here.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Sam Rockwell
* Willem Dafoe
* Woody Harrelson
* Richard Jenkins
* Christopher Plummer

About: Rockwell won here, and did a fine job. There are a few good performances here, but I'm going to stick with Rockwell.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Alison Janney
* Mary J. Blige
* Laurie Metcalf
* Octavia Spencer
* Lesley Manville

About: Janney was the winner, and this one is tough. There were a couple great options, but I'm sticking with Janney here.

That's a wrap on 2017. Check back next week for a look at 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43