40 Years of Movies: 2001

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2001:

Pearl Harbor
About:
I remember when I first saw this film. It was the big Memorial Day release that summer, and I was excited to see it. Those who are regular followers of my work know I love Michael Bay films, and this was a good one, mixing the most memorable moment early in World War II with Bay's unique style and the story of two friends as close as brothers. This one has a sweep score, but that attack sequence was stirring. It's not done to the level of something like Saving Private Ryan, but I thought it was well done. It continues to be a film I enjoy and have seen many times.

Other Considerations:
The Man Who Wasn't There
About:
This Coen Brothers film is beautiful, shot in black and white. It also has a great cast, including Billy Bob Thornton, Frances McDormand and Scarlett Johansson. It's the tale of a barber and a crime caper gone wrong. Thornton is great in the film, and while it's somewhat odd it's one I've always enjoyed. It's one of the most under-rated Coen Brothers films.

The Fast and The Furious
About:
The film that started it all. 20 years ago, when this was a summer release in mid-June, it was hard to imagine what it would become. I went to the film with my sister during the summer between my sophomore and junior year of college. It was Point Break with cars, and I loved it. I still do. And I still appreciate the franchise, but the first one always holds a special place in my heart.

Donnie Darko
About:
This might be one of the oddest collections of films I've had for a year, and Darko is a big reason why. The film comes from Richard Kelly and features Jake Gyllenhaal as a troubled teen who sees a giant rabbit that might portend his own doom. This one has time travel elements and some beautifully shot sequences. Among the supporting cast is Jake's sister, Maggie Gyllenhaal, playing his older sister in the film. This one had haunting moments and an incredible style that stuck with me, as did the powerful beauty of the story.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43