40 Years of Movies: 2003

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2003:

Elf
About:
I've noted before that 2003 was a great year for Christmas movies. There are a number of them that were released during the year that I watch frequently, but the greatest of those is Elf. This little comedy from Jon Favreau starring Will Ferrell not only was a delight, it became an instant classic. I love the film and it was an easy choice to top my life for 2003.

Other Considerations:
Love Actually
About
: Another Christmas movie, this one from writer/director Richard Curtis this one follows a series of stories all focused on love and relationships, set at Christmas. I enjoyed it a bunch when it was released and have watched it a number of times since. My favorite of the arcs is the one with Hugh Grant as Prime Minister. It's a delightful Christmas romance.

Big Fish
About
: This tale of a father and son, and the stories they tell, is based on a fun novel from Dan Wallace. The film adaptation comes from Tim Burton, who as always develops a fascinating visual style for the story. I like the performances and the story, and have always enjoyed this film, an under-rated offering from Burton.

Lost in Translation
About:
This one comes from Sophia Coppola and shows her talent as a writer and director. It's about the unlikely friendship that blooms between an fading movie star (Bill Murray) and a young, newly-married woman (Scarlett Johannson) as they cross paths in Tokyo. I loved the performances and the look and feel of this story. It's another film that's a bit under-rated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43