Favorite Broncos of All Time, QBs

 


Last off-season I ticked down my favorite Broncos of All Time. This off-season, to pass the weeks until we get football, I'm going to be sharing my Top 5 at each position, plus an Honorable Mention. Today I kick that off with quarterbacks.

1. John Elway (1983-19998)
Stats:
51,475 passing yards, 300 TDs, 3,407 rushing yards, 33 TDs
About: Elway is my favorite Broncos' player of all time, period. He was incredible to watch on the field and holds all the Broncos' passing records. He was Denver football for me growing up, so it was an easy call for him to top this list.

2. Peyton Manning (2012-2015)
Stats:
17,112 passing yards, 140 TDs; -55 rushing yards, 1 TD
About: Unlike Elway, Manning didn't spend his entire career in Denver. While he was with the Colts, he was one of the players I hated the most because Denver could never get past him. But since coming to the Broncos, my feel for him changed. He was a lot of fun to watch, bringing the Broncos to the playoffs all four seasons, the Super Bowl twice and helping the team win its third title. I will always be grateful he played here.

3. Jake Plummer (2003-2006)
Stats:
11,631 passing yards, 71 TDs; 670 rushing yards, 7 TDs
About: Jake The Snake is an under-rated player. He came to the Broncos from the Cardinals and had four good years to end his career. He was fun to watch and had a good deal of success, helping guide the Broncos to the AFC Championship Game in 2005. The Broncos elected to move on from him, and he elected to retire, but I enjoyed watching him play for Denver. He was 39-15 in his time here, and that is often overlooked.

4. Jay Cutler (2006-2008)
Stats:
9,024 passing yards, 54 TDs; 423 rushing yards, 3 TDs
About: Cutler burned hot and bright, and burned out quickly in Denver thanks to a coaching change. We never really got to see what he and those receivers could do before Josh McDaniels busted up the team, shipping Cutler to the Bears, where he played most of his career. He hastened the end of Plummer's time, which was a shame, but I enjoyed watching him play and continued to root for him after he left.

5. Tim Tebow (2010-2011)
Stats:
2,383 passing yards, 17 TDs; 887 rushing yards, 12 TDs
About: This will be a controversial choice, for sure, but I loved Tebow Time. Obviously I appreciate Manning, and what he brought, but the season and a half where we got Tim Tebow was also a heck of a lot of fun. He wasn't a great passer, but he was a great competitor. His playoff win over the Steelers is a moment I will never forget. So, he makes the list.

Honorable Mention: Brian Griese (1998-2002)
Stats:
11,763 passing yards, 71 TDs; 516 rushing yards, 5 TDs
About: It's tough to replace a legend, but that's what Griese was asked to do. He was the quarterback who came in after Elway. I think he gets a bad wrap. He wasn't a Hall of Fame player, but he was decent during his time in Denver, particularly as he went 7-3 as a starter in 10 games in 2000. I also enjoy him as an analyst.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43