Revisiting the Academy Awards, 2019

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

2019:

Best Picture:
* Jojo Rabbit
* Parasite
* The Irishman
* Marriage Story
* Ford v Ferrari
* Joker
* Little Women
* 1917
* Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

About: Parasite was the winner here, but I'm going with 1917, which I thought was visually stunning.

Best Director:
* Bong Joon-Ho
* Todd Phillips
* Sam Mendes
* Martin Scorsese
* Quentin Tarantino

About: Joon-Ho was the winner, but I'm going with Sam Mendes.

Best Actor:
* Joaquin Phoenix
* Adam Driver
* Antonio Banderas
* Leonardo DiCaprio
* Jonathan Pryce

About: Phoenix won and while I didn't love his film, I'm sticking with him.

Best Actress:
* Renee Zellweger
* Cynthia Erivo
* Scarlett Johansson
* Charlize Theron
* Saoirse Ronan

About: Zellweger was the winner here, but I'm going with Johansson, who was great in Marriage Story.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Brad Pitt
* Tom Hanks
* Anthony Hopkins
* Al Pacino
* Joe Pesci

About: Pitt was the winner here and I'm sticking with that.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Laura Dern
* Kathy Bates
* Scarlett Johansson
* Florence Pugh
* Margot Robbie

About: Dern was the winner, and I liked here here, but I'm going with Johansson who had an incredible 2019.

That's a wrap on 2019. Check back next week for a look at 2020.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43