Revisiting the Academy Awards, 2020

 


As some of you know, I have been a frequent guest host on the Music City Drive In Movie podcast this summer. We've been looking at movies since 2000, re-nominating the Academy Awards. That got me thinking about the actual fields of the awards themselves. In a new weekly series, I'll be looking back at the last 40 years of Oscars and reviewing the choices at Best Picture, Best Director and the four acting categories.

We come to the final year and the end of this ride.

2020:

Best Picture:
* Nomadland
* The Father
* Promising Young Woman
* Judas and the Black Messiah
* Mank
* Minari
* Sound of Metal
* The Trial of the Chicago 7

About: Nomadland won the honors here, and in terms of Best Picture selections, it's a worthy one. It wasn't my favorite of the films, but it might be the most complete and I would stick with it.

Best Director:
* Chloe Zhao
* David Fincher
* Emerald Fennell
* Lee Isaac Chung
* Thomas Vinterberg

About: Zhao won the award and she would have been my pick, so I'm sticking with her.

Best Actor:
* Anthony Hopkins
* Chadwick Boseman
* Steven Yeun
* Riz Ahmed
* Gary Oldman

About: Hopkins got the win here and he gives a great performance. However, I think this should have gone to Boseman, and I'd go with him here.

Best Actress:
* Frances McDormand
* Carey Mulligan
* Viola Davis
* Andra Day
* Vanessa Kirby

About: McDormand got the win here, and she gives a great performance. But, for me, Mulligan was the best of the nominees and I'm going with her here.

Best Supporting Actor:
* Daniel Kaluuya
* Sacha Baron Cohen
* Leslie Odom, Jr.
* Paul Raci
* Lakeith Stanfield

About: Kaluuya won and he was a more than worthy choice. I'm sticking with him.

Best Supporting Actress:
* Youn Yuh-Jung
* Glenn Close
* Olivia Coleman
* Amanda Seyfried
* Maria Bakalova

About: Yuh-Jung won the award here, and I think she's the right choice. 

That's a wrap on 2020 and the series! I hope you've enjoyed this walk down memory lane.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43