Tokyo Olympics, Week 1

 


Anyone who has followed my writing for a while knows I love Olympic competition. My favorite is the Summer Games, and every four years I get hyped to watch it all unfold, staying up late at night to watch the prime time events. That's no different this year.

We had to wait an extra long time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, which finally bowed on July 23, 2021. We're now nearly a week into the competition and we've seen the highs and lows. I thought I'd take a second to share a few of my thoughts from all that we've seen so far!

* Men's Basketball Flops: In our opening Men's Basketball Game we lost to France. It was the first loss in several Olympics, dating back to the 2004 games when we took Bronze. The U.S. has since rebounded to crush Iran, but it was an inauspicious start. It's fair to wonder if the rigors of the re-worked NBA seasons in 2020 and 2021 are going to take a toll on a team that's mostly comprised of NBA players, some of whom were playing all the way through the NBA Finals.

* I missed swimming: Swimming competitions are probably my favorite thing about the Olympics, and so far this year's turn in the pool hasn't disappointed. I've enjoyed watching Katie Ledecky, probably our most recognizeable swimmer, in her competitions. She dominated the first ever Women's 1500 Meter, and during the 4x200 Relay last night, I was on my feet at nearly 10 p.m. rooting as she anchored the American squad past Australia. We've also gotten some truly beautiful and inspiring moments. On Tuesday night, 17-year-old Lydia Jacobs winning the 100-meter Breaststroke, and the celebrations were incredible. Then, last night, Caeleb Dressel won the 100-meter freestyle. The race was incredible, but it was his raw emotions, and those of his wife in Orlando, that were one of the most beautiful parts of the competition for me so far. He also perfectly summed up that it's been a hard year, but making it to that moment was sweet.

* Simone Biles deserves our admiration and support: It's not easy to know your limits and ask for help, especially as an athlete. While we revere those who push through the pain to reach heights, it's equally as impressive, possibly moreso, to see an athlete know their limits and step away. Biles is the greatest women's gymnast in United States history, nothing that happens in these two weeks in Tokyo can or will change that. It was brave of her to step away and put her long-term future first. Was I sad I didn't get to see her compete? Yes, I was. But I was also inspired to see her teammates step up and give it their all. I was inspired to see her cheering her heart out for her teammates, and back in the gym last night to cheer on the U.S. men. 

* This year's games feel different: I understand the reasons and this isn't a criticism, but I feel for all the families that can't be there to watch and cheer their athletes on in person. It's sometimes heart-breaking to see them watching in Orlando or Texas when they want to be right up close with the athletes they've helped root on a cheer for their whole lives. It's also surreal watching all these competitions with little or no people in the stands. I still love the Olympics, but it's still surreal watching sports with no spectators.

The Summer Olympics continue through Sunday, August 8. Check them out on the networks of NBC and the Peacock App.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43