40 Years of Movies, 2007

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2007:

No Country For Old Men
About:
This was the Best Picture winner in 2007 as well. Based on the novel from Cormac McCarthy, this one was adapted by the Coen Brothers. This was a rich year for films, with a number that I quite enjoy. But it was an easy choice to have this atop my list. I think it's a masterpiece, one that makes me think and really connected with me. The performances are great and the story is engrossing.

Other Considerations:
Atonement
About:
This was another of the Best Picture nominees, this one based on a novel as well. It's set during World War II, centering on a doomed love story, a little girl with too big an imagination and a raging world at war. It's beautifully crafted and features some great performances. It's a movie that always grabs me emotionally.

The Kingdom
About:
This one from Peter Berg is about a terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia and the FBI Team sent to investigate. It focuses a lot on the precarious relationship between the two countries, and the cycle of hate that keeps us locked at odds. Jamie Foxx and Jennifer Garner, in particular, are great in this film.

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
About:
This one comes from Zach Helm, who created Stranger Than Fiction. Here he writes and directs a story that I find delightful. Natalie Portman, Jason Bateman and Dustin Hoffman are great here. This film is strange and delightful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43