40 Years of Movies, 2008

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2008:

The Dark Knight
About:
When Christopher Nolan took over bringing Batman to life in 2005 I was excited to see where it would go. We got a glimpse at the end of Batman Begins of what was coming next. But The Dark Knight surpassed all those hopes and expectations. It was an incredible experience. It remains an all time favorite that I've seen nearly 100 times. It was an easy choice to top the list for 2008.

Other Considerations:
Doubt
About:
This one is based on the stage play and has an incredible cast led by Meryl Streep, Phillip Seymour-Hoffman and Amy Adams. I love the writing and the plot here. The performances are incredible. I still think this is the film that should have won Best Picture.

Iron Man
About:
The film that started the MCU. When Robert Downey, Jr., first appeared as Tony Stark, no one knew what it would become. I remember going to see it in the theater and being totally hooked on the story, the character and what it could become. He's always been one of my favorites in the MCU.

Hamlet 2
About
: This is a strange film, I know it. Steve Coogan is delightful as a small town drama teacher trying to put on his masterpiece. Said masterpiece is awkward, but memorable. It's hard to describe this film and it will be no doubt polarizing for viewers, but I enjoyed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43