40 Years of Movies, 2014

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2014:

Guardians of the Galaxy
About:
I didn't know what to make of Guardians when it was coming out but once I saw it, I was taken with the blend of humor and drama. It quickly became my favorite film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and remains one of my favorite films. There were some great options in 2014, but this is the one that stands atop the rest for me.

Other Considerations:
Whiplash
About:
This is a powerful film but it's likely not a story for everyone. It's a very intense tale about two driven people, a student (Miles Teller) and a Teacher (J.K. Simmons). I love the direction from Damien Chazelle and the way this is put together. It was a powerful film when I first saw it and remains that way today.

Draft Day
About:
The NFL Draft is an exciting moment every year but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that's ripe fodder for a film. And yet, Ivan Reitman's film about the NFL Draft became a classic sports movie. Kevin Costner is great as the embattled General Manager of the Cleveland Browns and the action of this film, particularly once the draft begins, is a lot of fun. I watch it every year to prepare for the real NFL Draft.

A Million Ways to Die in the West
About:
Seth Macfarlane is a unique writer and content creator. Not all of his projects have worked for me but this little comedy, set in the old west and featuring a great cast that includes Charlize Theron, Liam Neeson and Neil Patrick Harris is great. It's irreverent and unexpected but it was a comedy I loved when I first saw it and have seen many times since.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43