40 Years of Movies, 2015

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2015:

Spotlight
About:
Sometimes a movie comes along and just grabs you. That was Spotlight, for me. It shines a light on the sex abuse scandal that rocked the Catholic Church. The performances are great and the way this story--which focuses on the journalists working to uncover the truth--is quite powerful. I remember sitting stunned in the theater contemplating it all when I finished my first screening. It remains a powerful film to me to this day.

Other Considerations:
Jurassic World
About:
This re-boot of the Jurassic Park franchise was interesting. I was skeptical about it at first but once I saw the film, I was taken with it. The way the story is built and the characters are introduced just works. The follow up wasn't as good, but I hope the third one is better. Still, this is a worthy companion to Jurassic Park.

Sicario
About:
Denis Villenueve is a talented director and this tale about a young FBI Agent (Emily Blunt) getting in way over her head is a pulse-pounding thriller. It's not wall-to-wall action but when the action comes it is fierce and surprising. Blunt is fantastic, as is Josh Brolin and Benicio del Toro.

Vacation
About:
The National Lampoon's Vacation franchise has long been providing interesting laughs. When it got a second generation re-boot in 2015, I was excited. Ed Helms does a great job as adult Rusty and this adventure proves to be a lot of fun. The MVP is definitely Chris Hemsworth, who provides some of the most fantastic scenes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43