40 Years of Movies: 2016

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2016:

Arrival
About:
This was a fantastic year for films. It was also an incredibly tough choice for me between this and the runner up film. When I did my best of the year that year, Arrival was my No. 2 choice. Over the last five years, it has steadily risen. It is a powerful and emotional experience, and a film I love.

Other Considerations:
La La Land
About
: This is very good film. I love Damien Chazelle as a filmmaker. Whiplash is near-and-dear to my heart, as is La La Land, a gorgeous and moving musical. It's a powerful film and was a powerful experience.

Rouge One: A Star Wars Story
About:
The new wave of Star Wars films has certainly been hit-or-miss, but one of the best is Rogue One. It tells an independent story that fills in some of the gaps between Episode III and Episode IV. Felicity Jones is great in the lead and this is a fun and powerful film.

The Shallows
About:
I love a good shark film, and this is one of the best. Blake Lively takes the lead as a young woman looking to connect with her mother by revisiting one of her favorite secluded beach spots. All on her own, she encounters a shark and has to fight to stay alive. It's a powerful film with a powerhouse performance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43