40 Years of Movies: 2017

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2017:

Star Wars: Episode VIII--The Last Jedi
About
: When this middle piece of the new trilogy was released it became an instantly polarizing film. Rian Johnson created something new and original that had some incredible visuals and, to me, the best performances and story of the new wave of Star Wars. Some long-time fans hated the film. Some loved it. It's presence in this list probably tells you where I came down. I saw it many times in theaters and was deeply moved. It has become my favorite Star Wars film of all time and vaulted to the top of the list for 2017 releases.

Other Considerations:
Wind River
About:
This film from Taylor Sheridan is set in Wyoming and focuses on a murder mystery. Elizabeth Olsen and Jeremy Renner are great in the film, which is beautifully shot and beautifully told. It's an emotional journey built on rich performances and some well-crafted action sequences.

Thor: Ragnarok
About:
Thor is a fun character thanks to Chris Hemsworth but his films haven't always been incredibly well received. That changes with Ragnarok, the third solo outing that is not only the best Thor film but one of the best in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I love the action and comedy here, as this one is a great showcase for Hemsworth.

Logan
About:
This was a great year for mature genre films. Logan is the third solo outing for Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and by far the best. We see an aging Wolverine and Professor X (Patrick Stewart) in a mature film that is heavy on action and earns its R-rating. It's a bold take and creates a powerful and engaging film.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43