Halloween Ghost Stories


 

Halloween is Sunday, perhaps you've heard? If not, now you know. It's a time when you might want to be looking for a spooky story or too. You could go the traditional slasher route, but if you're looking for a different kind of Supernatural, here's a few good ghost stories to keep you on your toes.

The Shining (1980)
About:
This one is adapted from a Stephen King novel by Stanley Kubrick. King supposedly didn't care for it, but fans always have. Jack Nicholson is chilling as a husband and father gone mad in a haunted hotel. As a bonus, it's not that far from where I live in Colorado. Have I gone, you might ask? No, I have not...

Poltergeist (1982)
About:
You don't think of Steven Spielberg when you think about ghost stories, but he was a writer for this one that was directed by Tobe Hooper, who gave us the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. This one features ghosts coming out of the TV and haunting a young girl and her family. It's an iconic classic for a reason.

Lady in White (1988)
About:
This might be the least known on this list, but one of my favorites. When I was a kid I bragged nothing could scare me. My mom rented this for me. It made an impact--so much so that years later, while watching a different movie, when a song came on that was featured in this one I almost had a panic attack. As a kid, this left me shook. As an adult, I just appreciate a good narrative... and sometimes it still leaves me shook.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)
About:
The novelty of this found-footage film was the marketing, which had folks believing it was real. I actually thought it was real when I first saw it, which was enough to excuse some of the production and acting. It's not great craft, but it was a novel idea that kicked off a movement.

The Sixth Sense (1999)
About:
M. Night Shymalan's first big blockbuster, and still one of his better films. (Not his best, as I think that is Signs.) This one features a great performance from Bruce Willis, a fine performance from Haley Joel Osment and one heck of a twist. When I first saw it in theaters I correctly guessed the twist, but it was still some good fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43