40 Years of Movies: 2020

 


2021 is the year I turn 40. As part of my celebration, I'm looking back at 40 years of movies, picking my favorite film from each year I've been around! To learn more about the criteria for this process, check this introduction. Each post will feature my pick, plus three runner's up. So check back over the next 40 weeks of this journey!

2020:
Promising Young Woman
About:
Last year was a weird year. Due to the pandemic, theaters were largely closed. As a result, many films had delayed releases, and those that were released often found smaller audiences. We began enjoying many films at home, which is where I saw Promising Young Woman. It was a screener that came to me in December and as soon as I watched it, I was taken with it. Carey Mulligan gave the performance of the year in a film that was well written, funny at times and surprising. It stuck with me and was my favorite of the films I saw in 2020.

Other Considerations:
Nomadland
About:
The Best Picture winner was another beautiful film I saw at home. Frances McDormand gives a beautiful performance and Chloe Zhao delivers a well-crafted tale that looks at a critical slice of life in America. It felt like a natural companion to some of the issues raised in one of my favorite films, Up In The Air.

Tenet
About:
I love Christopher Nolan as a director and story-teller. Tenet was one of the few epic films that got a theatrical run in 2020 and was one of the best theatrical experiences I had last year. It's not Nolan's best but it was a pretty epic and engaging film.

Rebuilding Paradise
About:
This documentary from Ron Howard focused on the fire that claimed the town of Paradise, California. It looked at the men and women who had their lives turned upside down and the year spent trying to put things right. It was haunting and emotional, one of the best films of the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43