Best of the Year So Far, Actors


 

We're past Thanksgiving in the home stretch for the year, so I thought it was a good time to look at what currently sit as my favorite performances of the year. Friday I looked at my top three at Actress and Supporting Actress. Today I'll look at my top three at Actor and Supporting Actor.

Best Actor:
1. Will Smith, King Richard.
Richard Williams is a controversial figure, and that will likely play into the appreciation of the film for some. But there is nothing controversial about Smith's performance, which is great.
2. Winston Duke, Nine Days. Maybe not the popular choice, but Duke is amazing in a film that is incredibly thought-provoking and beautifully crafted. I love Duke in the lead role.
3. Mads Mikkelsen, Riders of Justice. This foreign film is one I saw early in the year and it stuck with me. I loved Mikkelsen in the lead role and the passion he brings to the part.

Best Supporting Actor:
1. Jason Isaacs, Mass.
As a father still grieving the loss of a child, Isaacs gives some of the most emotional pieces of a difficult and emotional film. I was taken with the power of his performance.
2. Andrew Garfield, The Eyes of Tammy Faye. Garfield gives a powerful performance as Jim Bakker, really sinking into the role. He plays well off Chastain and gives a great performance. It was a big year for Garfield and this should net him a nomination.
3. Jamie Dornan, Belfast. This is a tough category with some great options, including Dornan as a father who is fighting for the future of his family in a tumultuous time in Northern Ireland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43