Mid-Season Power Rankings

 


We're halfway through the biggest NFL season ever, so it seems the right time to see what we've learned. In this post, I'll be offering my Top 3 for each conference. Sunday, I'll be looking at my mid-season award picks.

AFC Power Rankings:
1. Tennessee Titans (7-2).
The Titans are the biggest surprise in the NFL. I thought they'd be a playoff team and would win the AFC South, but I had them as a 10 or 11 win team. They are 7-2, atop the conference and the only AFC Contender that seems to be handling all comers. Every time you count them out, they roar back with a win, beating the Chiefs, Bills and Rams, and sweeping their division rivals the Colts along the way.
2. Buffalo Bills (5-3). The Bills were my Super Bowl pick from the AFC and I would hope to see them continue to win and make a run at that, but it hasn't been pretty. The Bills have a couple signature wins, but more troubling is the big losses, including a 9-6 loss to the lowly Jacksonville Jaguars last week. Buffalo needs to do better, but the AFC feels wide open.
3. Baltimore Ravens (6-3). The Ravens had their own brutal loss on Thursday, falling 22-10 to the Dolphins. That gives me pause, as the Ravens have played three mediocre to poor games in a row. Still, they have the second best record in the AFC and I think they turn it around. The AFC is going to be wild down the stretch.

NFC Power Rankings:
1. Los Angeles Rams (7-2).
Yes, the Rams lost last week, looking bad at times against the Titans. But you have to consider the quality of the competition. I love the Rams' roster and I think they are still the team to beat in the NFC.
2. Green Bay Packers (7-2). The Packers had a stumble last week as Aaron Rodgers was out of the lineup, but he should be back now. They are still the only team to beat the Cardinals and have been to two straight NFC Title games. They are contenders.
3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (6-2). Narrowing to three in the NFC was hard because there are five really good teams. That makes it a bit of a flip from the AFC where, Titans aside, I'd put five NFC Teams over anyone in that conference. For the last slot I went with the defending champs, who are still rolling along pretty good. It was a tough call given how impressed I've been by the Cowboys and Cardinals, but it comes down to Tom Brady and coaching experience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43