The Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe

 


The latest addition to the Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, launched on Friday. That gives the franchise four films, three directly connected, that have debuted the last 37 years. Now seemed like a good time to look at my ranking of the franchise, which is listed below!

4. Ghostbusters II (1989)
About:
This was the original sequel, picking up two years later. I enjoyed it all right but it remains the weakest of the offerings for me. It feels a bit too much like a re-hash of the plot points of the first film and while I still enjoy the characters and the fun, it's not quite as dynamic. I wasn't as taken with the villain in this one, either.
Verdict: Two and a half stars out of five

3. Ghostbusters (2016)
About:
This was the re-boot from Paul Feig. It features a new group of paranormal fighters in Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Leslie Jones, and Kate McKinnon. This one has good humor and some fun effects. I LOVE Chris Hemsworth here, too. It features cameos from Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Annie Potts and Ernie Hudson, too. It is better than people give it credit for.
Verdict: Three and a half stars out of five

2. Ghostbusters (1984)
About:
The original and still a fun film. This one has iconic moments and lines. I love the introduction of the characters, the soundtrack and the performances. Those who've followed my 40 Years of Movies countdown will know this was my pick for my favorite film from the year it was released. It's held up over all these years and remains a classic.
Verdict: Three and a half stars out of five

1. Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021)
About
: I love Jason Reitman as a filmmaker, and this one hit all the notes that he can deliver. It's a lovingly nostalgic ride that has callbacks to the original film while introducing new characters in a new setting. It was a surprisingly emotional journey for me. I loved it and I loved the tribute it pays to the franchise and Harold Ramis, who is no longer with us.
Verdict: Four stars out of five

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43