Spider-Man Rankings

 


The latest Spider-Man is out (I'm seeing it today). Before we consider where it ranks, here's my take on the first eight Spider-Man movies released the since 2002. The list appears in ascending order.

8. Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)
About:
This was the second of the franchise fronted by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone. I initially liked the idea but let’s just say the franchise didn’t work for me… at all. Anyway, this one featured Jamie Foxx as the villain and, honestly, it’s dreadful. Everyone was capable of better.

7. The Amazing Spider-Man (2012)
About:
This was the kick-off of the Garfield franchise. I liked the casting of Sally Field and Martin Sheen, and I wanted to like Garfield and Stone, but it just didn’t work. This one isn’t as bad as the sequel but it’s not great. In fact, I like to forget the Garfield era entirely.

6. Spider-Man 3 (2007)
About:
This was the final film in the trilogy from Tobey Maguire and director Sam Raimi. This film is overly long and sputters. Originally it was meant to be two films that were put back into one huge film and I think that’s the root of much of its problems. It’s not great, but I’d watch it any day over the Garfield films.

5. Spider-Man 2 (2004)
About:
It’s tough for me to distinguish between the first two Maguire films. I liked the villain played by Alfred Molina here, and I’m pumped to see his return in the new film. This is a good and enjoyable film but it came down to some of the iconic lines and the experience for me of the first film.

4. Spider-Man (2002)
About:
This came out in a time when superhero films were more of a rarity than they are now. This film felt like something of a fun gamble that paid off in a big way. Maguire was great in the role and I’ve always enjoyed the story and production here. This film holds a special place in my heart because of the experience of seeing it the first time on the big screen.

3. Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
About:
This one brought Spider-Man, now played by Tom Holland, into the MCU. Of course, Holland makes his debut in Captain America: Civil War (2016), but he stands on his own here and this film is a lot of fun. His back-and-forth with Tony Stark (Robert Downey, Jr.) adds a great element as well.

2. Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse (2018)
About:
This animated film, which won the Academy Award as the best animated feature, centers on a multi-verse built around Miles Morales (Shameik Moore). This was a much different kind of film and one that I loved. This has a great story, a great look and some wonderful and fun performances. It was unlike anything I’d seen and is one of my favorite takes on a superhero film.

1. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)
About
: Where do you go after Endgame? That was a question many viewers had and this Spider-Man film, the first to debut after Endgame, is focused greatly on that idea. It’s an incredible showcase for Holland, Zendaya and Jon Favreau, adding a great supporting performance from Jake Gyllenhaal. It has an amazing ending that sets up what’s to come tomorrow, too. This is a Top 5 MCU film for me and an easy pick as my favorite film about our web-slinging hero.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43