The MCU in 2021

 


After a year without, we got plenty of Marvel Cinematic Universe action in 2021. We got four feature films and five series on Disney+. Now that all of the 2021 offerings are out, it's time to look back and offer a ranking. I'll split them as Films and TV, then offer a complete look at the nine in order at the bottom.

MCU TV Series:
5. What If...?
This was an interesting animated series that looks at the potential of what would have changed in these stories we know if a small element had changed. One decision. One action. Big consequences. It looks like this might end up tying into the live-action world in 2022, which is interesting. But, overall, it didn't totally work for me.

4. Loki. I love Tom Hiddleston's take on the character, and this was a fun and well-crafted series. It lands where it does on the list for me because I didn't have as strong an emotional connection to the characters and the world here. I am excited to see how it ties into what comes next.

3. Falcon and The Winter Soldier. This follows two interesting characters and was one of the most anticipated series. It started rough for me as I loathed the character of the new Captain America early. However, the last two episodes were poignant and emotional in a way that pulled me all the way back in.

2. Hawkeye. The final episode airs on Wednesday, and this is close to possibly shifting up. But for now, I'm comfortable with this here. Jeremy Renner and Hailee Steinfeld are great, and I'm excited about what this could open up to in the future. Hawkeye has been a marginalized character in a lot of MCU productions but I love the focus on him here.

1. WandaVision. The first Marvel TV series and still, for me, the best. I loved the creativity and the mystery at the beginning, but what won me over was the heart. Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany are great in these roles and the climax of the series was a satisfying, emotionally-engaging journey.

MCU Films:
4. Black Widow. This was a good film, the first of four released and a fun summer blast. It's a commentary on how strong a slate of films the MCU produced this year that this is the lowest of them because I really enjoyed this film.

3. The Eternals. Perhaps one of the most polarizing MCU films in a long time. I get some of the criticisms, but I don't agree with them. Chloe Zhao has delivered a beautifully shot and crafted film. I liked the characters and story. I'm curious to see a follow up to this.

2. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. This was perhaps the biggest surprise of the year for me. I didn't know what to expect going into this film but it was a fun ride and a real kick. It's still in my Top 10 films of the year.

1. Spider-Man: No Way Home. Perhaps the most anticipated film in the MCU in years, this one had a lot of weight of expectations. It delivered. Tom Holland was great, and the story moves in fun and unexpected ways. There's humor, there's action but, more importantly, there's heart.

Combined Rankings:
9. What If...?
8. Loki
7. Falcon and The Winter Soldier
6. Black Widow
5. The Eternals
4. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
3. Hawkeye
2. WandaVision
1. Spider-Man: No Way Home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43