Best of the Small Screen: Network Sitcoms, No. 10

 


Welcome to this year's exploration of TV, the Best of the Small Screen. Throughout the year I'll be looking at my favorite shows in four categories: Network Sitcoms, Network Dramas, Cable Series and Streaming Series. We'll cap the exploration with my Top 10 shows of all time regardless of format. Check back each Saturday for another installment in the countdown!

Dr. Cox: [to J.D] Don't ever be afraid to come to me with stuff like that. The simple fact that you actually seem to give a crap is the reason I took an interest in you to begin with. It's why I trust you as a doctor. Hell, it's... it's why I trust you as a person.

Scrubs (2001-2010)
Starring:
Zack Braff, Donald Faison, Sarah Chalke, Judy Reyes, John C. McGinley, and Neil Flynn
Favorite Episodes: "My Own Personal Jesus," Episode 1.11, "My Screw Up," Episode 3.14, "My Lunch," Episode 5.20
About: Scrubs was part of the heyday of NBC comedies, when the format was dominant and NBC was the place to go for shows. Despite that, I never felt like it was one of the most talked about shows. But, for me, it was always one of my favorites. Creator Bill Lawrence offered a world that was a beautiful mix of comedy and heart-felt moments. That's what elevated this series about a group of doctors into something more. The soundtrack was great, too. I remember collecting Scrubs soundtrack CDs and enjoying the songs again and again. That's something that was often curated by Braff, and something he did well with his film, Garden State. The cast here was also solid. Flynn was a delight as the janitor, always wreaking havoc on the characters, particularly J.D. (Braff). Reyes and Chalke, along with frequent guest star Christa Miller, were great and funny ladies. But this was really about two best friends, Braff and Faison, and a mentor, McGinley. J.D. and Turk were a fun pair, with each of them contributing to my enjoyment of the series. In fact my favorite episode, "My Own Personal Jesus," is actually all about Turk (Faison) as the driving force in the narrative. But the other piece that really made the show hum for me was the mentor-mentee relationship between J.D. (Braff) and Dr. Cox (McGinley). I loved Braff as the lead, but McGinley made the show as Dr. Cox. He could be incredibly funny in one moment and yet incredibly poignant with his comments in the next moment. Scrubs was a magical mix of comedy, story, characters and heart. It's a series that stuck with me and was one I anticipated watching each week throughout its run. It ended with a ninth season that didn't quite match its time on NBC, but it at least let us spend some more time with these characters. If you've never seen Scrubs, I recommend checking it out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43