Best of the Small Screen: Network Sitcoms, No. 9


 Welcome to this year's exploration of TV, the Best of the Small Screen. Throughout the year I'll be looking at my favorite shows in four categories: Network Sitcoms, Network Dramas, Cable Series and Streaming Series. We'll cap the exploration with my Top 10 shows of all time regardless of format. Check back each Saturday for another installment in the countdown!

Tobias Fünke: Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over - an analyst and a therapist. The world's first analrapist.

Arrested Development (2003-2019)
Starring:
Jason Bateman, Will Arnett, Michael Cera, Jessica Walter, Tony Hale, Portia de Rossi, David Cross, Alia Shawkat, and Jeffrey Tambor
Favorite Episodes: "In God We Trust," Episode 1.08, "Pier Pressure," Episode 1.10, "Good Grief!" Episode 2.04, "Afternoon Delight," Episode 2.06, "Arrested Development," Episode 3.13
About: I loved Arrested Development. The sight gags, the unexpected jokes and the subtext. It all worked for me. It's a style of humor that appealed to me and there are pieces of it that I consider still to this day. Whenever someone says something that I know is incorrect, I can't help but hear Ron Howard say "It wasn't" or "It isn't" in my head. That's the long-lasting effect of the series. This is also a series that is two parts. You'll notice the episodes I shouted out are all from the first three seasons during the original run on FOX. That was a time when Arrested Development was an all-time hit for me. I loved the cast and the stories, particularly the relationship between Michael (Bateman), George Michael (Cera) and the rest of the family. But the MVP was always Tobias, who had some of the funniest lines. Part of it was the performance from Cross, who also delivered one of my favorite comedy episodes of all time on the series Just Shoot Me. And part of it was the material. That quote listed above is a perfect example. I loved the way the series was written and I wish it had been more popular during its first run. It was nice to get more episodes in the two Netflix seasons, but it wasn't the same. Still, the first three seasons are strong enough that it makes this list. If you want to check it out, the series is available on Netflix, including the first three seasons!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43