Favorite Films of All Time: No. 44

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

T'Challa: You were wrong - all of you were wrong - to turn your backs on the rest of the world! We let the fear of discovery stop us from doing what is right. No more! I cannot stay here with you. I cannot rest while HE sits on the throne! He is a monster of our own making! I must take the mantle back. I must! I must right these wrongs!

Black Panther (2018)
Starring:
Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Angela Bassett, Winston Duke, Danai Gurira, and Lupita Nyong'o
Director: Ryan Coogler
About: I know what you're thinking, another superhero film? It's OK, I get it. This is the last superhero film on the list for a little bit. But superhero films are such a part of our culture and our cinematic landscape, it makes sense a number of them have popped into my countdown. Black Panther felt like something special and something new. It was different, powerful and gripped me right away. It bowed in February of 2018 and I was taken with it. I still am. It's my second favorite MCU film. Boseman is incredible in the lead role, and the world built by Coogler is breath-taking. The biggest shame is that we won't get to see him continue in this role and in this world. I'm curious to see where the sequel goes, but I'm skeptical that it will be as impactful. I loved the direction, the action sequences, the story and the performances here. Jordan makes for a great foil and has a number of strong scenes opposite Boseman. Their battle in the middle and their climatic battle, especially the way it ended, was quite powerful. For all those reasons the film has always resonated with me and has been among my favorite films of all time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43