Favorite Films of All Time: No. 45

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Catwoman: Come with me. Save yourself. You don't owe these people any more. You've given them everything.
Batman: Not everything. Not yet.

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Starring:
Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, and Michael Caine
Director: Christopher Nolan
About: This is probably the film that has moved the most for me in this countdown. I have always enjoyed it and been drawn to some of the moments. It wasn't my favorite in Nolan's trilogy, but it's grown in my esteem over the decade since its release. In fact, the biggest move was vaulting it over last week's selection, Batman. But that's how good this film is. It probably gets overshadowed because it followed The Dark Knight and because of some of the tragic circumstances of its release. I remember how excited I was for it to come out. Then I realized it would release while I was on my honeymoon in the middle of the ocean. I was hyped to see it when I got back, but by then the shooting at the theater in Aurora, near where we were about to move, was all over. It was eerie being in a nearly empty theater when I finally got to see it, but it was worth it. I loved the film and the story, the way it brought these characters to life and brought this trilogy to a close. There are so many richly emotional moments that I come back to time, and again. We get a different Bruce Wayne and a different Batman, and it's beautiful. The closing sequences are also beautiful. From Wayne's funeral to Alfred's trip abroad, it all moves me. So, too, does the relationship between Bruce and Selena Kyle. The exchange I captured above is one of the best in the film, and one I come back to time-and-again. For all those reasons, along with the beautifully crafted film from master director Nolan, this film locked on to my Top 50 list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43