Best of the Small Screen: Network Sitcoms, No. 2

 


Welcome to this year's exploration of TV, the Best of the Small Screen. Throughout the year I'll be looking at my favorite shows in four categories: Network Sitcoms, Network Dramas, Cable Series and Streaming Series. We'll cap the exploration with my Top 10 shows of all time regardless of format. Check back each Saturday for another installment in the countdown!

Casey McCall: I speak four languages.
Dan Rydell: You speak three languages.
Casey McCall: I speak four languages.
Dan Rydell: You speak German, French, and Italian.
Casey McCall: I dabble in a little English.

Sports Night (1998-2000)
Starring:
Peter Krause, Josh Charles, Felicity Huffman, Joshua Malina, and Sabrina Lloyd
Favorite Episodes: "The Apology," Episode 1.02, "Mary Pat Shelby," Episode 1.05, "Dear Louise," Episode 1.07, "The Six Southern Gentlemen of Tennessee Tech," Episode 1.11, "Eli's Coming," Episode 1.19, "What Kind of Day Has It Been," Episode 1.23, "The Giants Win the Pennant, the Giants win the pennant," Episode 2.10, "The Cut Man Cometh," Episode 2.11, "Quo Vadimus," Episode 2.22
About: This is the shortest series on the Network Sitcom list and likely the one people have heard of least. It was the first Aaron Sorkin series to hit the air, but it quickly became overshadowed by his NBC drama. This comedy aired on ABC and it wasn't your typical sitcom. It had a style, writing and storytelling method that was unlike anything I'd seen. The series is set behind the scenes of a SportsCenter-like show. As someone who has always enjoyed SportsCenter, I loved the set up here. I also love Sorkin's writing and the cast here. This only ran two seasons but it was one of my favorites. I've seen it a dozen times and still find it compelling. It remains one of my favorite network comedies and a show that I hope more people will find and enjoy. Maybe listing it here will help!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43