Best Picture Nominees: CODA

 


On February 8 the Academy Award nominations were announced and 10 films were nominated for Best Picture. On March 27, the winners will be announced. Between now and then, I'll be looking at each of the nominees and considering their chances.

CODA
Starring
: Emilia Jones, Marlee Matlin, Troy Kotsur, Daniel Durant, and Eugenio Derbez
Director: Sian Heder
Total Nominations: 3
Nominated For: Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor (Kotsur) and Best Adapted Screenplay
About: I can't be totally objective because CODA was my favorite film of the year. From the moment I saw it, I was in love. The storytelling is beautiful and emotional. The music is inspiring and there are sequences that just captured and touched my heart. I've seen it a couple times and it never fails to touch me. It seems many voters felt the same, as it earned three Academy Awards and took home some big prizes at the SAG Awards, including Best Cast. I wish Jones had been nominated for her beautiful leading turn, but you can't have everything. While CODA is probably more of a long-shot to win Best Picture, I do think it could be a strong contender in its other two categories. Kotsur won at the SAG awards and I think he's among those with a great shot to win Best Supporting Actor at the Academy Awards. If he does, it would be well earned. Likewise, I think CODA has a great shot to win the Best Adapted Screenplay award. In the end, I think the film wins at least one, maybe two. Not a bad turn out for a little Sundance film that debuted on Apple TV+.
Rating: Rated PG-13 for strong sexual content and language, and drug use.
Verdict: Four and a half stars out of five
Where to Find It: It is in limited theatrical release but is always streaming on Apple TV+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43