Favorite Films of All Time, No. 41

 


In 2022 I'm revisiting my favorite films of all time, doing a countdown of the Top 50 throughout the year. Check back each Friday for the latest installment in the countdown of films, which include releases through 2019. Agree? Disagree? Have a thought on the choice? Be sure to share in the comments below!

Cory LambertYou know, we tried to be very careful with Emily. Tried to plan for everything. She was such a good girl. But we let our guard down. And why would I tell you? You may have kids one day. You cannot blink. Not once, not ever.

Wind River (2017)
Starring:
 Jeremy Renner, Elizabeth Olsen, Graham Greene, Julia Jones, and Jon Bernthal
Director: Taylor Sheridan
About: There is something I love about Sheridan's writing. He's building an empire on the small screen with the success of Yellowstone and 1883, two shows I enjoy. But I first grew to love his efforts from his work on feature films. He wrote the script for Sicaro and Hell or High Water, but with Wind River he not only crafted the story, he directed it as well. And what a job he did directing. It's a beautiful and beautifully paced story built around two incredible performances. Renner and Olsen were in the midst of their run in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but here they get to ply their skills in a much more satisfying way. I love the way the tension builds here. The film spends time building the relationship between the grizzled and grieving tracker (Renner) and the young FBI Agent (Olsen) who has talent but is a bit out of her depth. When the truth of the mystery is revealed, it's heart-breaking. But when the action sequence comes, it has you on the edge of your seat. It's breath-taking. I love the way this film tells an important story and does it well. It's a film that has resonated with me for the five years since I first saw it. Renner delivers possibly the best performance of his career in the lead, and I think it's work that's wildly under-rated. I love Olsen in the role, too. This is a powerful film and one that went under-the-radar for many. But I love it, which is why it made this list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burial a courtroom drama with heart

Broncos Draft Targets

Favorite Westerns, No. 43